If you have a young child and are hoping to have another one in a few years, you may have the need to pack up some of your child's baby items to store for use later on. Renting a storage unit for this purpose is a great solution. Here are some tips to help you properly store items baby clothes, toys, and furniture in a storage unit.
Reusing baby clothes is a great way to save money if you have a second or third child, but baby clothes can also take up a lot of space. To store your baby clothes in a storage unit, you will need to complete several steps, which include the following:
- Wash them – Make sure clothes are all nice and clean when you store them. This will help protect them and may help prevent mold developing on them if the clothes have any food on them.
- Sort them by size – A second step to take is to sort the clothes by size. This will make it easier for you to find the right sizes when you need them.
- Pack them in plastic totes – Storing clothing in plastic totes is the best way to protect them. These totes keep air out and will help stop bugs from getting in.
Once you've completed these steps, your baby clothes will be ready to be placed in your storage unit.
Toys And Stuffed Animals
If you have a lot of toys that you would like to hold onto for your next child, you can also use plastic storage totes for storage; however, you can also use cardboard boxes for this. Before you pack up the toys, there are several things you should do:
- Clean them – Wipe all hard toys with antibacterial wipes to kill germs and remove food particles.
- Remove batteries – If any of the toys have batteries in them, you should remove them before you store them. When batteries are left in things, they can begin corroding. This will not only cause a mess, but it can also lead to damage of the toys. While this is something you could fix, it is much easier to prevent corroding than dealing with the effects it can cause.
If you have a lot of stuffed animals you would like to keep, you may want to consider washing them before you store them. Washing stuffed animals can be a tricky job, especially if the animals have music boxes in them, sequins on them, or porcelain heads. If any of your stuffed animals have things like this, you may want to just wipe them down with a damp rag.
For any other animals that are just regular stuffed animals, you can machine wash them. To do this, you should place them in a mesh bag before you begin. Next, run your washer on the gentle cycle and use cold water. When finished, hang the animals up to air dry. Once they are dry, you can place them in storage totes.
If you also need to store your baby crib or other wooden furniture, you should begin by cleaning it well with a wood polishing cleanser. This will help protect it while it is in a storage unit. You may also want to consider renting a climate-controlled unit if your furniture is really nice. Climate control offers a safer way to store wooden furniture items and other things that are valuable.
Using a storage unit is a great way to store things you do not need right now but will need in the future. To learn more, visit a storage unit facility such as Two Guys Moving.